Here are 10 proven health benefits of quinoa.
- Quinoa is Incredibly Nutritious
Here is the nutrient breakdown for 1 cup of cooked quinoa, or 185 grams (2):
- Protein:8 grams.
- Fiber:5 grams.
- Manganese:58% of the RDA.
- Magnesium:30% of the RDA.
- Phosphorus:28% of the RDA.
- Folate:19% of the RDA.
- Copper:18% of the RDA.
- Iron:15% of the RDA.
- Zinc:13% of the RDA.
- Potassium:9% of the RDA.
- Over 10% of the RDA for Vitamins B1, B2 and B6.
- Small amounts of Calcium, B3 (Niacin) and Vitamin E.
- Quinoa Contains Potent Bioactive Substances Called Quercetin and Kaempferol
Quinoa contains large amounts of flavonoids, including Quercetin and Kaempferol. These are potent plant antioxidants with numerous health benefits.
- It is Very High in Fiber… Much Higher Than Most Grains
Quinoa is much higher in fiber than most grains, with one source finding 17-27 grams of fiber per cup of uncooked Quinoa.
- Quinoa is Gluten Free and Perfect For People With Gluten Intolerance
Quinoa is naturally free of gluten and using it instead of typical gluten-free ingredients can increase the antioxidant and nutrient value of a gluten-free diet.
- Quinoa is Very High in Protein, With All The Essential Amino Acids That we Need
Quinoa is high in protein compared to most plant foods and contains all the essential amino acids that we need.
- Quinoa Has a Low Glycemic Index
The glycemic index of quinoa is around 53, which is considered low. However, it is still relatively high in carbohydrates.
- It is High in Minerals That Most People Don’t Get Enough of, Especially Magnesium
Quinoa is very high in minerals, but the phytic acid can partly prevent them from being absorbed. Soaking or sprouting quinoa degrades most of the phytic acid.
- Quinoa May Have Some Major Benefits For Metabolic Health
Two studies, one in humans and the other in rats, show that quinoa can improve metabolic health. This includes lower blood sugar and triglyceride levels.
- Quinoa is Loaded With Antioxidants
Quinoa appears to be very high in antioxidants, which are increased even further after the seeds are sprouted.
- Quinoa Has Several Important Characteristics That Make it a Weight Loss Friendly Food
Quinoa is high in fiber, protein and has a low glycemic index. These properties have all been linked to weight loss and improved health.